Telecommunications Engineers are the architects of the modern technologies that allow us to communicate through different types of media networks, ranging from those for mobile phones to the Internet, and also from those networks for the distribution of TV-signals to those for telemedicine
In their training, the Engineers in Telecommunications at Politecnico di Torino learn the techniques used to transfer information from the source, which generates the data, to the end users (for example: the voice in a phone, a song, a movie, the data measured by a sensor located on the slopes of a volcano, the images observed by a satellite, an electrocardiogram measured at the edge of a mountain by a rescue helicopter, a message posted on Facebook or Twitter).
The ability to analyze and design these systems requires the study of different topics, among which we recall the following:
- Processing of multimedia signals (audio/MP3, images/JPEG, video/MPEG)
- Digital transmission techniques (wireless, mobile, satellite, ADSL, optical fibers, WiFi, LTE)
- Architecture of telecommunication networks (Internet, HSPA, digital TV)
- Innovative services for the users (SMS, Voice over IP, Skype, WWW, Peer to Peer, iChat, Facebook, Twitter)
- Global navigation satellite systems (GNSSs), such as GPS and Galileo
The student in Telecommunications Engineering from Politecnico di Torino will study inside an environment with a strong international flavor, thanks to:
- Large number of foreign students
- Opportunity to follow courses in English
- Opportunity to attend study courses in collaboration with foreign universities
Right from the Bachelor Degree course and, above all, during the Master
Degree course, students have several options to study abroad, thanks to
the co-operation with foreign Universities, double degrees, Erasmus
courses, training periods and theses abroad.
To be properly prepared for
the "global market", the student may choose to follow
Telecommunications courses taught in English at Politecnico di Torino.
This opportunity will allow the student to gain the ability of
communicating in "Technical English", which is an absolutely essential
requirement in a working world that is increasingly internationalized.
Finally, the design of modern communication systems requires a multidisciplinary knowledge in engineering. For this reason, the Bachelor Degree in Telecommunication Engineering covers the fundamental aspects of Electronics and Information Technology.