TOP-UIC is a Master's Degree program between the Polytechnic of Turin (PoliTo) and the University of Illinois at Chicago (UIC) divided into three academic groups (Group 1, Group 2 and Group 3). Master's Degree (LM) and Master of Science (MSc) are awarded at the end of the program. The academic group named as "Group 3" involves the Dept. of Civil and Materials Engineering, whose academic reference of the Polytechnic of Turin is Prof. Gian Paolo Cimellaro.
The academic course is activated only in the presence of a minimum number of participants equal to 7 and provides for:
- an initial "observation" semester;
- a semester at PoliTo with at least three courses taught in English;
- a semester at the UIC in Chicago for carrying out training activities according to the rules of the MSc UIC and recognized by the Politecnico di Torino;
- a final semester aimed at developing the Master's thesis / MSc at UIC or Politecnico di Torino;
- the final defense both in Chicago, during the degree sessions provided by the UIC and at the Politecnico di Torino according to the rules of the University.
Costs and benefits
Enrolment in both universities is required to apply for the program. Participants are required to pay university fees for the entire duration of the LM and for two semesters at UIC. According to the agreement between UIC and PoliTo, a reduction in UIC tuition fees of about 40% is granted for participants. The amount of tuition fees to be paid to the UIC currently amounts to approximately USD 8,000 per semester. Additional costs related to the stay in Chicago are covered by the participants. Politecnico di Torino supports the project by providing scholarships to cover part of the tuition fees due to UIC in the amount of € 6,500.
Detailed description on scholarship and eligibility requirement can be found in PROGETTI SPECIALI del “Bando di concorso per mobilità degli studenti all’estero - Bando Estivo”, https://didattica.polito.it/outgoing/it/).
Reference for Civil Engineering : prof. Gian Paolo CIMELLARO