Servizi per la didattica
PORTALE DELLA DIDATTICA
Set-Cookie: language=it; path=/; domain=.polito.it;

Design for living

02SUDLU, 01SUDPM

A.A. 2021/22

Course Language

Inglese

Course degree

1st degree and Bachelor-level of the Bologna process in Architecture - Torino

Course structure
Teaching Hours
Teachers
Teacher Status SSD h.Les h.Ex h.Lab h.Tut Years teaching
Teaching assistant
Espandi

Context
SSD CFU Activities Area context
ICAR/13
ICAR/16
3
3
F - Altre (art. 10, comma 1, lettera f)
C - Affini o integrative
Altre conoscenze utili per l'inserimento nel mondo del lavoro
A11
2020/21
The course aims to offer a contribution in the training of architects especially in the interior field, with particular attention to living spaces, whether permanent or temporary. Designing an interior inhabited space means taking the envelope or the context as a starting point and working on its "interior", working both on furniture and equipment systems and on the other dimensions, tangible and intangible, that allow the space to be inhabited, enjoyed and perceived as a place of functions and cultural and social meanings.
The course aims to offer a contribution in the architect training especially in the interior field, with particular attention to living spaces, whether permanent or temporary. Designing an interior inhabited space means taking the envelope or the context as a starting point and working on its "interior", working both on furniture and equipment systems and on the other dimensions, tangible and intangible, which allow the space to be inhabited, enjoyed and perceived as a place of functions and cultural and social meanings.
The course aims to stimulate and refine the student's sensitivity towards practical/constructive aspects of the inhabited interior space and to combine them with aspects of method and culture of the project at different output scales. At the end of the course the student will be able to understand and design the relationship of reciprocity and contextual coherence between spatial and product elements, in close relation with the user's daily experience. The course develops a program organized to ensure: -a good knowledge of the state of the art on the theme of interior spaces and furnishing objects; -a design attitude aimed to the quality of the environments we design for living that, while privileging the specific modeling of the architectural interior and the furnishing object, knows how to undeline the indispensable relationships with the building in its entirety and complexity from the organization point of view; -a specific sensibility for handcrafted and serial furniture products, for interior detail solutions and for issues related to materials, colours, finishes and light; -a knowledge of project and process management practices and production technologies with a focus on lightweight, accessible and appropriate technologies.
The course aims to stimulate and refine the student's sensitivity towards practical/constructive aspects of the living interior space and to combine them with aspects of method and culture of the project at different output scales. At the end of the course the student will be able to understand and design the relationship of reciprocity and contextual coherence between spatial and product elements, in close relation with the user's daily experience. The course develops a program organized to ensure: -a good knowledge of the state of the art on the theme of interior spaces and furnishing objects; -a design attitude aimed to the quality of the environments we design for living that, while privileging the specific modeling of the architectural interior and the furnishing object, knows how to undeline the indispensable relationships with the building in its entirety and complexity from the organization point of view; -a specific sensibility for handcrafted and serial furniture products, for interior detail solutions and for issues related to materials, colours, finishes and light; -a knowledge of project and process management practices and production technologies with a focus on lightweight, accessible and appropriate technologies.
Good knowledge
Good knowledge of history of contemporary architecture and basic knowledge of the typological characters of architecture and building representation.
The course aims to investigate issues related to the space of contemporary living and those solutions able to respond to the changes taking place, whether they are social, economic or health: flexible living, shared living, emergency living, home-office. Themes of immediate use for the interior architect will be dealed: the optimal proportions for domestic environments, the anthropometric and ergonomic criteria for moving in the spaces of the house, the features of the internal finishing materials of the building box. From the design point of view, issues related to the process of defining the project application will be dealed. Moreover, the different scales of the furnishing object and its different roles in the context of the fruition and organization of environments will be reread.
The course aims to investigate issues related to the space of contemporary living and those solutions able to respond to the changes taking place, whether they are social, economic or health: flexible living, shared living, emergency living, home-office. Themes of immediate use for the interior architect will be dealed: the optimal proportions for domestic environments, the anthropometric and ergonomic criteria for moving in the spaces of the house, the features of the internal finishing materials of the building box. From the design point of view, issues related to the process of defining the project application will be dealed. Moreover, the different scales of the furnishing object and its different roles in the context of the fruition and organization of environments will be reread. Everything will be reread, with theoretical lessons and case studies, with a view to experience solutions to model and equip the space, methods to ensure the centrality of the user, knowledge, procedural rules and constraints to be respected in the intervention. The living space and furniture products will be the object of an investigation that will combine objective aspects - paths and relationships between the parties, relationships with the surroundings, program and brief constraints - and subjective aspects - needs of use, management and production, meaning and perception of space. Attention will be focused on the use of materials and light, on the study of the dimensional relationships and proportions between the parties, on the quality of the relationships linked to the hierachy of spaces and the positioning of furnishings.
There will be lessons on line or in presence, of theoretical and case study type, and two moments of design applications related to the disciplines of interior architecture and industrial design. In this way the student will understand the problems and opportunities related to the design of the interior architectural space and its relationship with the furnishing object, standard or designed ad hoc; this will take place in a sequence of experiences that will see the culture of interiors and industrial design intertwined and that will lead students to confront the criteria of reading the hierarchy of spaces (from public to private, through the spaces of relationship), to read the relationship between furnishings, isolated and integrated, and environments, as well as to experience the methods for the design of rooms and objects that are placed there to support the functions performed.
There will be lessons on line or in presence, of theoretical and case study type, and two moments of design applications related to the disciplines of interior architecture and industrial design. In this way the student will understand the problems and opportunities related to the design of the interior architectural space and its relationship with the furnishing object, standard or designed ad hoc; this will take place in a sequence of experiences that will see the culture of interiors and industrial design intertwined and that will lead students to confront the criteria of reading the hierarchy of spaces (from public to private, through the spaces of relationship), to read the relationship between furnishings - isolated and integrated - and environments, as well as to experience the methods for the design of rooms and objects that are placed there to support the performed functions.
Articulated in design manuals and texts of practice, history and culture of furniture; among them: - S.Canepa, M.Vaudetti Architettura degli Interni e progetto dell'abitazione - Nuove tendenze dell'abitare, Wolters Kluwer, Milano, 2015 - J.Pile, A History of Interior Design, John Wiley & Sons, New York, 2013 - Germak C. (a cura di), L'uomo al centro del progetto, Allemandi, Torino 2008 - B. Munari, Da cosa nasce cosa, Laterza. II Edizione 'economica Laterza', Bari, 2010 - D. A. Norman, La caffettiera del Masochista. Psicopatologia degli oggetti quotidiani, Giunti Editore, Firenze, 2009 - A. Yudina, Furnitecture Furniture that transforms space, Thames & Hudson, New York, 2015
Articulated in design manuals and texts of practice, history and culture of furniture; among them: - S. Canepa, M. Vaudetti Architettura degli Interni e progetto dell'abitazione - Nuove tendenze dell'abitare, Wolters Kluwer, Milano, 2015 - J. Pile, A History of Interior Design, John Wiley & Sons, New York, 2013 - C. Germak (a cura di), L'uomo al centro del progetto, Allemandi, Torino 2008 - B. Munari, Da cosa nasce cosa, Laterza. II Edizione 'economica Laterza', Bari, 2010 - D. A. Norman, La caffettiera del Masochista. Psicopatologia degli oggetti quotidiani, Giunti Editore, Firenze, 2009 - A. Yudina, Furnitecture Furniture that transforms space, Thames & Hudson, New York, 2015
Modalità di esame: Prova orale obbligatoria; Elaborato progettuale in gruppo;
The examination, oral individual, lasting 20 minutes, consists in demonstrating the knowledge of the topics dealt with in class and the application of them in the two exercises carried out during the course in group. The latter, one for each of the two design disciplines that contribute to the course - Interior Architecture and Industrial Design - are to be understood as a design reflection on interior spaces and products characterized the world of living. The evaluations of the project exercises will contribute to form the final vote in the measure of 60%, the interview will contribute for the remaining 40%.
Exam: Compulsory oral exam; Group project;
The examination, oral individual, lasting 20 minutes, consists in demonstrating the knowledge of the topics dealt with in class and the application of them in the two exercises carried out during the course in group. The latter, one for each of the two design disciplines that contribute to the course - Interior Architecture and Industrial Design - are to be understood as a design reflection on interior spaces and products characterized the world of living. The evaluations of the project exercises will contribute to form the final vote in the measure of 60%, the interview will contribute for the remaining 40%.
Modalità di esame: Prova orale obbligatoria; Elaborato progettuale in gruppo;
The examination, oral individual, lasting 20 minutes, consists in demonstrating the knowledge of the topics dealt with in class and the application of them in the two exercises carried out during the course in group. The latter, one for each of the two design disciplines that contribute to the course - Interior Architecture and Industrial Design - are to be understood as a design reflection on interior spaces and products characterized the world of living.
Exam: Compulsory oral exam; Group project;
The examination, oral individual, lasting 20 minutes, consists in demonstrating the knowledge of the topics dealt with in class and the application of them in the two exercises carried out during the course in small groups. The latter, one for each of the two design disciplines that contribute to the course - Interior Architecture and Industrial Design - are to be understood as a design reflection on interior spaces and products characterized the world of living. The evaluations of the project exercises will contribute to form the final vote in the measure of 60%, the interview will contribute for the remaining 40%.


© Politecnico di Torino
Corso Duca degli Abruzzi, 24 - 10129 Torino, ITALY
m@il