The course is taught in English and it aims at presenting the most significant aspects of security of Embedded Systems (ES), Cyber Physical Systems (CPS), and Internet of Things (IoT) devices.
The most widely used security-oriented architectures are then introduced, with a particular emphasis on the open-source security-oriented platform SEcube™, via significant hands-on experiences.
Security-by-Design basic concepts are eventually provided.
The course is going to be enriched with presentations of relevant case studies from industrial testimonials and researchers.
Having successfully completed the course, the participant will:
• Getting familiar with the most significant aspects of security of Embedded Systems (ES), Cyber Physical Systems (CPS), and Internet of Things (IoT) devices, including:
• Getting familiar with the most widely used security-oriented architectures, including built-in safety and security hardware features available in today advanced processors;
• Getting familiar with the basic concepts of Security-by-Design of:
-- Communication protocol
-- System Architecture;
• Getting significant hands-on experiences with the open-source security-oriented platform SEcube™.
Participants are assumed to be familiar with the basic concepts of:
• C, C++ programing Languages
• Assembly programing Languages
• Computer Architectures
• Digital System Design.
• Introduction to Cybersecurity (0.3 CFU)
• Security of Embedded Systems (ES), Cyber Physical Systems (CPS), and Internet of Things (IoT) devices, including (0.6 CFU):
-- Vulnerabilities and Attacks:
°° Communication Protocols
°° System Architecture
• Security-oriented architectures, including: (0.3 CFU)
-- Proprietary solutions (e.g., ARM TrustZone®, Cisco® Trust Anchor, SEcube™, …)
-- Built-in safety/security hardware features available in today advanced processors;
• Security-by-Design of: (0.6 CFU)
-- Hardware, including Physically Unclonable Functions (PUFs)
-- Software, including software design rules for ES’s
-- Communication protocols
-- System Architectures;
• The open-source security-oriented platform SEcube™ (0.3 CFU):
-- Hardware Architecture
-- Open-source software stack;
• Hands-on experiences with the open-source security-oriented platform SEcube™ (3 CFU);
• Presentations of some relevant case studies from industrial testimonials and researchers (0.9 CFU).
• The course includes:
-- Hands-on sessions
-- Team activities aimed at developing SEcube™ based solutions for CPS’s or ES’s
• Students are clustered into groups of 2 or 3 people, supervised by a mentor:
-- The group composition is proposed by the students;
-- The mentor offers advice, monitors progress, and marks reports; it is not her/his job to give technical advice, nor to lead or manage the group;
-- Identification of roles inside each group, as well as their allocation, is up to the group members;
-- Each group will be rented a development kit for the SEcube™ platform;
• Each group is requested to deliver:
-- A technical oral presentation
-- Proper technical report(s) on the developed item/product.
• Copies of the teaching materials used for the lectures and the presentations;
• User and programming manuals of the open-source security-oriented platform SEcube™;
• All the above material will be freely downloadable from the Course home page on the Politecnico Teaching Portal.
Modalità di esame: prova orale obbligatoria; elaborato scritto prodotto in gruppo;
Exam: compulsory oral exam; group essay;
The course exam will consist in:
• final assessment of the delivered item/product provide by each group (70% of the overall evaluation)
• oral exam with questions on the topics covered in the course (30% of the overall evaluation).