|Politecnico di Torino|
|Anno Accademico 2007/08|
Current topics in ME
Corso di L. Specialistica in Ingegneria Meccanica - Torino
The aim of this course is to make students acquainted with the design basic criteria and the construction, processes and test practice of industrial pressure vessels. The skills developed at the end of the course are the preliminary design of the layout of the vessel, according to Standards, the stress analysis computation and experimental practice, the basic knowledge and handling of NDT procedures.
The course is composed by theory, practice and laboratories. Theory deals with : the stress analysis of the main vessel components; the non destructive techniques for the evaluation of defects in structures and the Standards requirements, with particular care for the welding design and testing. Practice proposes several applications of stress analysis of vessel components, the design by Rules and by Analysis in the case of the heat exchangers, according to TEMA and ASME Standards. Laboratories deal with the experimental demonstration and practice of stress analysis by strain gauges, and with the calibration of ultrasonic transducers and the NDT application to welded joints.
· Introduction: basic concepts of stress analysis, design against fatigue and failure criteria for brittle and ductile materials; elements of applied fracture mechanics
· Welded joints design.
· Threaded fasteners design.
· Stress analysis of axisymmetric solids : discs, plates and shells (analytical and matricial approaches).
· Circular and annular plates analysis.
· Membrane stress analysis of shells :
- components: vessels, heads, nozzles, tubesheets ;
- shapes: cylindrical, hemispherical, elliptical, toroidal, torispherical, conical.
· Local bending effects at the head to vessel joint.
· Design by rules and by analysis of industrial vessels.
· Gaskets and bolted joints.
· TEMA standards for the design of heat exchangers.
· ASME standards for the design and the NDT of pressure vessels.
· Experimental measurement of strains by means of strain gauges on vessel components.
· NDT techniques : description, calibration and practice.
Pressure Vessels Design ' Standards:
· ASME Boiler and Pressure Vessel Code Section VIII, Rules for Construction, Division 1 and Division 2, ASME Press, New York, 2004
· ASME Boiler and Pressure Vessel Code Section II, Materials, ASME Press, New York
· TEMA ' Standards of the Tubular Exchanger Manufacturers Association, Eighth Edition, New York, 1999
Pressure Vessels Design ' Applications and Cases:
· Brownell, L. D., and Young, E. H., 1959, 'Process equipment design: vessel design', Wiley, New York.
· J. R. Farr and M. H. Jaward, A Guidebook for the design of ASME - Section VIII pressure vessels, ASME Press, New York, 1998 and following.
· Pilkey, Walter D., 1997, 'Peterson's stress concentration factors', New York, Wiley
· Neuber, H., 1971, 'Technische Mechanik : methodische einführung, erster teil static', Berlin, Springer.
Stress in Shells:
· Flügge, W., 1973, 'Stresses in shells', Berlin, Springer
· Roark, R. J., 1965, 'Formulas for stress and strain', New York, McGraw-Hill
· EN1993-1-8 ' European Standard, Design of steel structures ' Part 1-8: Design of Joints
· Smith, D., 1986, 'Welding skills and technology', McGraw- Hill, New York
Controlli dell'apprendimento / Modalità d'esame
Midterm examination on theory and tutorials learned so far:
Final report with the collection of resolved exercises.
Final examination : oral discussion on design for pressure vessels, related technologies, test criteria / experimental practice of strain analysis / NDT by ultrasonic transducers.
|Orario delle lezioni|
|Statistiche superamento esami|
Programma definitivo per l'A.A.2009/10