|Politecnico di Torino|
|Academic Year 2017/18|
Atelier: the architectural sustainable design C
Master of science-level of the Bologna process in Architecture For The Sustainability Design - Torino
The theoretical lessons and the design activities will be oriented to the development of a healthcare facility, that will take into account the sustainable approach from the points of view of: energy efficiency, social and cultural aspects, at the urban and architectural scale.
The Module of Architectural Design will focus on the following aspects:
- methodological aspects of the architectural design at the building and microurban scale: massing, relationship between volumes and open spaces, form factors, distribution, hierarchy of the volumes etc.;
- sustainability as a morphological task; relationship between technical devices, typology and architectural language;
- the design of the public space as a constitutive aspect of the integrated sustainability.
The sustainable development will be introduced – also with reference to the recent literature – as a deep mutation of the traditional paradigms, based mostly of a multi-scalar and interdisciplinary approach.
The interactions between the different design expertises (massing and distribution, technology, building physics etc.) will be thus analyzed, keeping the focus point always on the final result of the design activity, in order to recreate – even with a strong simplification due to the didactic activity – the general framework of a real process of interdisciplinary design.
The module of Technological and Environmental Design will focus on the following aspects:
-Complex building design and methodological approach related to the case study: functions, building layout, requirements and performances (safety, maintenance, visual, acoustic and thermohygrometric and psychosensorial comfort, and sustainability).
-sustainability concept about architecture design
-site analysis (climate, vegetation in buildings and city, design tools
-ecotechnologies design: green houses, thermal and photovoltaic collectors, solar screens, envelopes, thermal insulations and natural ventilation of buildings.
-sustainability evaluations tools, national and international evaluation assessment protocols
The module of Building Physics will focus on the following aspects : Stationary and dynamic thermal performance of the building envelope, with particular regard to sustainability (ventilated facade, solar greenhouse, solar shading, etc.); building acoustic insulation project, building natural lighting project; current legislation in terms of energy, acoustic and natural lighting of the building system; environmental noise regulation (with specific reference to the city of Torino).
The theoretical topics will have practical application in the building physics analysis of the project, with particular regard to the integration between sustainability, technological and architectural choices.
The arguments introduced in the three modules will constitute the theoretical base (about 30% of the total time of the course), useful to elaborate a project for a healthcare facility in Torino; it will be developed at 1:500/1:200 scale for the general parts, at 1:100 scale for a single building and at 1:50/1:20 scale for some technical details (about 70% o the time).
The Atelier will be composed of two types of activity: lessons (that will introduce the topics previously discusses) and design activity, where those arguments will be applied to the case study.
Some moments of collective discussion will be scheduled, also with the contribution of some experts belonging to the realm of healthcare design and management.
The Atelier will end up with a public presentation of the works, which will be also an opportunity of discussion with some external guest, coming from the professional world and from Politecnico di Milano (who are working on the same topics).
Texts, readings, handouts and other learning resources
This is a short list of some general bibiographic references :
Sustainable architecture at the urban and architectural scale
- Doherty G., Mostafavi M., (Eds.), 2010. Ecological Urbanism. Zürich: Lars Muller Publisher.
- Farr D., 2008. Sustainable Urbanism. Urban Design with Nature. Hoboken: John Wiley&SonsInc.
- Fabian L., Munarin S., 2017, Re-Cycle Italy. Atlante, Siracusa: LetteraVentidue.
- Marini S., Santangelo V., (a cura di), 2013, Nuovi cicli di vita per architetture e infrastrutture della città e del paesaggio, Roma: Aracne.
- Grosso M., Piardi S., Peretti G., Scudo G., 2005, Progettazione ecocompatibile dell'architettura, Pozzuoli (NA): Sistemi Editoriali.
-Terranova F. (cur.), 2005, Edilizia per la sanità. Progettare. Metodi, tecniche, norme, realizzazioni.. Vol. 4,ed. UTET
- M. Filippi, E. Fabrizio, (a cura di), 2012, Innovazione tecnologica sostenibile in edilizia, «Atti e Rassegna Tecnica della Società degli Ingegneri e degli Architetti in Torino», n. LXVI-1-2-3 aprile-giugno.
Additional and more specific bibiographic references will be given during the lessons, in order to support more precisely the work of the students, also with reference to the topics emerging from their specific interests.
Assessment and grading criteria
A steady attendante, as well as an active participation to the Atelier’s activities and lessons is an important condition to pass the exam.
The final exam is oral, it will be given in groups of maximum 3 persons and it will focus on:
- the results of the design work elaborated during the Atelier (the following aspects will be evaluated: matching between the project and the declared aims; integration between the different disciplines into the final boards and documents; capability to argue consistently and effectively about the main design choices);
- the theoretical topics introduced during the lessons and their application into the project (the following aspects will be evaluated: capability to introduce wider reflections starting from specific design issues);
- the results of the individual written test of building physics.
The final mark will be calculated as the mathematical average among the partial grades obtained in the three disciplines involved in the Atelier.
Programma provvisorio per l'A.A.2017/18