|Politecnico di Torino|
|Academic Year 2017/18|
Integrated Manufacturing Systems
Master of science-level of the Bologna process in Mechanical Engineering - Torino
In this subject, concepts and components used in various production systems are investigated, including their application and programming. Components will include industrial robots, parts handling systems and coordinate measuring machines (CMMs). The course surveys the principles of lean systems and the importance of efficient lean methodologies where the traditional methods can result in a net loss of competitiveness in the global market. Therefore, we will analyse basic concepts on non-conventional machining such as EDM, electrochemical machining, chemical milling, machining by ultrasound, electron beam melting and laser processing. We will conclude by examining manufacturing by means of additive techniques.
Expected learning outcomes
At the end of the semester, students will:
- know the structure of flexible manufacturing systems especially with reference to lean production;
- identify design features that make automation difficult;
- describe the basic concepts of numerical control;
- identify the basic programming methods used in manufacturing;
- understand CAM methodologies to define process planning;
- compare various robot geometries and working parameters;
- know principles for setting automation levels and process integration in relation to production rates;
- know the fundamentals of additive manufacturing;
- identify the most appropriate production technology according to the product requirements.
Prerequisites / Assumed knowledge
Knowledge of technical drawing rules and of industrial manufacturing technology with particular emphasis on techniques for metal cutting and machining cycles. It is essential that the student has familiarity with the use of computers.
Numerical Control of Machine tools
- Definition and fundamental concepts
- Machine tool structures and guideways
- Tools and workpiece management
- Drives and actuation systems
- Feedback devices
- Machine control unit
- Computer Numerical Control (CNC)
- Direct Numerical Control (DNC)
- Adaptive Control
- Manual and computer-aided programming
- The ISO code
- The APT (Automatically Programmed Tools) language for numerical control
- Computer-aided programming tools
- Structures and characteristics
- Control unit and programing
- Integrated robotic systems
- Robot cells
Coordinate measuring machines
- Computer-aided control
- Structures and characteristics of CMM
- Software for CMM
Management of production systems
- Introduction to industrial systems analysis
- Production planning
- Analysis of main scheduling methods
- Material requirement Planning (MRP)
- Just In Time (JIT)
- CONstant Work In Process (CONWIP)
Unconventional machining (15 h)
- Electrical discharge machining
- Electrochemical machining
- Chemical milling
- Ultrasonic machining
- Electron-beam welding
- Laser machining
- Water-jet machining
Additive manufacturing (6h)
- Principle of layer manufacturing and economics
- integration with CAD systems
- industrial processes.
Industrial manufacturing systems examples will be analyzed during lectures.
Some seminars on topics related to the course will be presented by industrial experts.
Texts, readings, handouts and other learning resources
PowerPoint slides presented during lectures and other teacherís lecture notes uploaded on Portale della Didattica.
- Giusti, Santochi, Tecnologia Meccanica e Studi di Fabbricazione, Casa Editrice Ambrosiana, Milano
- De Toni, A. F., Panizzolo, R., & Villa, A. (2013). Gestione della produzione, ISEDI.
Assessment and grading criteria
The aim of the final exam is to verify the students' knowledge on modern integrated manufacturing systems.
The oral final exam will consist of 3/4 open questions on topics covered during lessons and seminars. Theoretical questions may include the request for drawing/sketches or solving simple problems.
Each response will account for 7-10 points, as a function of the complexity of the question. The final score is the sum of points obtained from each response.
Programma definitivo per l'A.A.2017/18