Automated Android test repair with the Appium framework
External reference persons COPPOLA RICCARDO
Research Groups DAUIN - GR-16 - SOFTWARE ENGINEERING GROUP - SOFTENG
Thesis type EXPERIMENTAL
Description In the field of Mobile Application Development, testing practices can be very expensive and time-consuming - especially in an industrial setting. One of the main causes of this phenomenon is the constant evolution of the GUIs appearance, leading to frequent breakages of test cases that are based on the definition of the layouts.
Automated Test Repair is emerging as a promising trend in the field of Android testing. The objective of the technique is to automatically modify the test code when the application evolve, to fix the test cases that no longer work because the involved GUI elements have been modified.
The aims of this thesis are the following:
- provide a frame of existing techniques to repair broken test cases, and list their characteristics, main aspects and applicability;
- analyze the main reasons for invalidation of test cases. This thesis will focus on the Appium mobile testing framework;
- validate a Widget Similarity Index to identify equivalent widgets during the evolution of the layouts of an Android application;
- develop a framework to automatically update test cases when the involved widgets are changed;
- empirically validate the framework over a set of existing applications.
Required skills Java development
Knowledge about software testing
Deadline 04/05/2022 PROPONI LA TUA CANDIDATURA